The primal challenge is about to begin. The gladiators are going to enter the arena on September 7th to the stomping of feet and roar of the crowds! Rose petals will rain down on the gladiators’ determined faces as they eye each other appraisingly and ready themselves for the gauntlet. On this day, we will reach back to hallowed antiquity and be like our ancestors for one month.
The passionate Mark Sisson, primal caveman exemplar, has once again issued his challenge to his followers for the month of September. Eat, sleep, forage and move like a caveperson for 30 days. That means no bread, legumes, grains, sugar or cheese and lots of bare foot activities for thirty days. Is health worth giving up sugar and bread?
Are you ready to do your duty for Humankind? Could I have done this two months ago?? No way. Could I do it now? (The crowd pauses to hear the gladiator’s response.) “YES!” She shouts, pumping her spear! (The crowd bellows!)
I have been eating, more or less the paleo way for over two months now and I am ready for 30 days of pure primal eating. In fact I am looking forward to it. My little indiscretions into the grain and sugar world, leave me feeling empty and craving. Craving something….. something that is a mystery that nothing ever seems to satisfy. A break from these desires will be merciful. (Am I not merciful??)
I have but one life to give to my health and I am ready to give it. I am already impressed with how I feel eating this way while cheating along the way. What will it feel like to eat completely this way?? I have already lost 10 pounds in the last two months. (Hubby has lost 15!) What will this month bring to my shedding? I am going to find out.
The whole rules of the challenge are out! Check them out on Mark daily apple. (Mark Sisson’s blog) For me, that means eating no grains, legumes or sugar, moving extra every single day, working more with lowering my carbs and enjoying making up new recipes to appease the gladiators in us.
My name is Dana Rene Zia, Commander of the Armies of real food, General of the kitchen, loyal servant to health and well being. And I will win my primal challenge, in this life, right now. So grab your vibram five fingers and your spear and meet me in the arena. The gauntlet is down. Strength and honor.
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon of good vanilla
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ lemon zest
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups of ground almond flour
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder
- Fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Add the eggs through the water to the mechanical frother, (Ya know, the blender) and frothify about one minute. In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour through the arrowroot powder and whisk till light and fluffy. Slowly add the liquid mix to the dry, mixing the whole time till just blended.
- Heat up a large caveman sized skillet or electric griddle to medium low heat. Melt the coconut oil in it and drop heaping tablespoons of the batter onto the skillet. Drop fresh blueberries into the pancakes and cover them slightly with batter. DO NOT TURN UP THE HEAT, as tempting as it is. Almond flour burns easy. Cook slowly till bubbles start to form on the pancake or it gets too brown on the skillet side, then flip. Cook a bit longer till done and transfer to a plate. Serve up hot with agave syrup, goat yogurt and blueberries. Then go out and conquer.